Sunday 1 October 2017

Finding My Mojo

I love garlic.  Phil doesn't; well not to the extent that I do anyhow.  With the rain and wind lashing against the window proper Cornish style, I planned a day in the kitchen making some 'staples'.  

I was thinking that Phil may have gone off surfing for a while so was going to sneak in making something extremely garlicky.  However, with howling onshore winds, that wasn't going to happen.  I resolved to suffer the sarcastic garlic hating remarks regardless and make it anyway.  He amused me by donning his makeshift PPE (aka his wetsuit hood).  Funny boy.  

He got his revenge though when he started to dry fry some chillies in preparation for the other staple we had planned; Mexican chorizo seitan.  I spluttered that he was the one in need of a risk assessment if anyone was, as I gently opened the door for a quick blast of chilli fume clearing wind.

With the chilli fumes all but cleared I continued peeling the countless garlic cloves that I needed for my chosen recipe.  I was making Mojo de Ajo (garlic sauce); a roasted garlic citrus-infused oil, which is one of the essential ingredients of the Mexican kitchen. This is one staple that would keep us taco'ed up for some months so it is worth a rainy day cooking session.  

Both the garlic sauce and the chorizo seitan are from Vegan Tacos by Jason Wyrick, which we bought and have enjoyed exploring recently.  We even treated ourselves to a tortilla press as a result (but more about that in a future blog post).  

The Flattened Seitan recipe from the book is a longish process to make, but so worth the effort and makes a great amount to last for many meals, as I'm sure will the chorizo seitan we made today.  If you love your Mexican food we highly recommend this book and we still have so much of it to explore!

The funny thing was once I had made the Mojo de Ajo, Phil remarked that it actually smelt lovely.  At that moment the sun came out for the first time today!

Read more about Jason Wyrick on The Vegan Taste or connect on his Facebook page.



























We would love to share the aforementioned recipes with you, but they are not ours to share.  You need to get your own copy of this wonderful book!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment