Thursday 27 August 2015

Vegan Caramel Truffle Messy Things


I make no apologies for either the quickly snapped photo above or the messiness of these little delights.  I wanted to eat them, not mess around with them to make them look pretty. I'm no Masterchef contestant after all.  Whatever they looked like, they tasted horrible.......horrible in the sense that I was willing to tell anyone else that was the case so that I could eat them all myself.  Don't make them you will get fat and whoever wrote the recipe (I don't know who as I'd obviously scribbled it down from somewhere in a frenzy and bunged it in my recipe folder) you are a very naughty person....and thank you.

The recipe I had didn't include details of the chocolate covering so I made that bit up.  You could keep it completely raw by making a raw chocolate covering instead of cheating like I did and just melting a bar of ready made.  Lucuma is available in the raw food section of health stores.  It is a little pricey but a little goes a long way and I do use it a fair amount in smoothies, raw chocolate and messy stuff like this.  It is only in the last few years that this super food has become available in the UK but I remember about 15 years ago enjoying vegan lucuma flavoured soya ice cream from a little shop in the hill town of Kandy in Sri Lanka.

Vegan Caramel Truffles
100g dates (soaked overnight)
50g coconut butter
2 tablespoons lucuma powder
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
1/2 bar vegan chocolate (about 75g) of your choice
Dash of maple syrup
Dash of plant milk of your choice if required

Blend the dates, coconut butter and lucuma powder until it comes together enough for you to roll teaspoon sized dollops into balls.  

Roll them lovingly in the desiccated coconut and freeze your balls..ahem....

Melt your chocolate of choice in a bowl over a pan of hot water.  Add a dash of maple syrup and the dash of milk if it is required to loosen the mixture enough to dunk your balls.  Once coated in chocolate, pop them back in the freezer to set.  Putting them on some greaseproof or silicon to freeze them might have helped mine not fall apart upon separating from the plate I used but hey ho!

Either keep them in the freezer and just defrost slightly before consuming or store in the fridge for a more readily available but slightly more messy effect!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment