Sunday 19 October 2014

Savoury Sesame Polenta Cakes


Anyone who has read our blog before will know that I am quite a fan of polenta.  I was having a 'I don't know what to cook but I guess I'll just make it up as I go along' cooking session yesterday and created these little savoury polenta cakes.  

After tasting them, I immediately ran and got a pen and paper to scribble down how I'd actually made them so I could recreate them.  I think I've remembered it all right but after looking at the photo (thankfully there were four left to take a photo this morning), I'm wondering what the darker specks are (yes, I had been drinking vino tinto when I made them!). Perhaps I put in some oregano too - who knows!!   Next time I make them I will probably end up 'adapting' it again anyway.  However, for now this is how I created these beauties (I think!).

Savoury Sesame Polenta Cakes
Makes 12

5 cups of stock (I used Tomato and Herb stock cube with 5 cups boiled water)
2 tablespoons soya sauce (I put in a glug which I think was about this amount)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder 
2 tablespoons sesame seeds (again I just poured some in but think it was about this)
1 cup polenta

Mix the stock, soya sauce, oil, chilli powder and sesame seeds in a measuring jug.

Put the polenta in a saucepan and pour in the wet ingredients on a medium heat. Bring to a steady simmer and stir frequently to prevent sticking for about 5 minutes or so, until thickened.  Watch out it will spit at you!

Pour the mixture into greased muffin tin holes and allow to set.

Bake in a moderate oven for 30 minutes until nicely browned.

Enjoy!

We enjoyed ours with a tofu steak (recipe to follow but we ate it all so no chance to take a photo!), sliced seitan and salad on the side.

1 comment: