Sunday 21 September 2014

Vegan Cheesy Sauce

Ironically after posting yesterday about the Polenta Veggie Bake I fancied making another one today and this time it was with polenta from scratch, but then I had a little more time to stand over the stove stirring it.  This time I again used a courgette, but on top of this added leek and mushroom, sun dried tomatoes and vegan cheesy sauce with a few slices of vegan cheese on top.   

With the above recipe in mind, it had occurred to me that I had never posted about making vegan cheesy sauce.  As with all my cooking, the recipe varies most of the time according to what we have in the cupboard and what taste I'm 'feeling' on that particular day.  What better time therefore to make another cheese sauce and this time write down how I made it!

Below is a photo of the resulting sauce on top of today's polenta bake before it went in the oven.  Today I decided to make it with cashews hence the slightly textured look of it.  This sauce (in it's different guises) has many and varied uses beyond the polenta bake.  I use it with lasagna or pasta in general or on top of baked spuds just to name a few.


 Hemp Miso

Today's Vegan Cheesy Sauce

1 cup cashews
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon dried shallots or onions
2 teaspoons miso (I like Source Foods Hemp Miso - see photo above)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 cup water

Blend the cashews, nutritional yeast and dried shallots until fine.  Add in the miso and give it a quick whizz before add in the lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce and given it yet another spin.  Finally add the water and give it a major whizz until smooth.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment