Saturday 2 August 2014

Mori-Nu Tofu Cheese


I hadn't made any cheese for a while so fancied a bit of an experimental cheese restocking session.  

We were out of cashews but rummaging around the cupboard I found an ever reliant pack of Mori-Nu Firm Silken Tofu.  As this tofu doesn't have to be kept in the fridge we always keep a packet or two handy in the cupboard.  It's great for camping too for the same reason. 

Another rummage around and I had agar flakes for firming up the cheese, lemons for giving a tang and miso for the umami cheesiness.  

Basically with the addition of a bit of oil, water and salt I was ready to give it a go.


Mori- Nu Tofu Cheese

1 packet of Firm Mori-Nu Silken Tofu (349g tetra pack)
30ml olive oil (this gave a nice taste but you could use any nice oil really)
30ml water
1 teaspoon salt (less if you prefer but cheese should be a little salty right?)
4 tablespoons of agar flakes (you could probably use Vegeset too)
1 tablespoon of miso (I used brown rice miso) 
Juice of 1 lemon

Blend up the tofu, oil, water, salt and agar flakes until smooth and well incorporated. Scrape this mixture into a saucepan and heat up gently stirring constantly until the mixture starts to boil and spit at you and becomes slightly thinner (about 5 minutes). Watch it at this stage because it is vicious!!   Take it off the heat and thoroughly beat in the miso and lemon juice before spooning into a container to set. When cool enough pop it in the fridge.  I've no idea how long it lasts but I imagine it will be eaten before we find that out!

This cheese is quite soft but slices well.  I imagine it is a bit feta like.  However, in my pre-vegan days I was brought up in a house where anything beyond Cheddar was deemed exotic so I've no experience of such things!  

I have put a certain amount of it in the freezer to see whether that changes the texture in any way (like freezing tofu does).  I will comment on this once I know the answer.

Enjoy!

STOP PRESS - DON'T FREEZE THE CHEEZE!  IT MAKES IF SOFTER - HOW WEIRD IS THAT?!

No comments:

Post a Comment