Tuesday 29 July 2014

Vegan Blackcurrant Recipe Ideas

Blackcurrants are amazing in the sense that they really don't let you down in the quantity of harvest. What isn't so easy is working out what to do with all those shiny black treasures.  I have really struggled over the years to find recipes or think of ideas for them beyond the usual jammy solution.

Last year I did make blackcurrant cordial and that was a great success so this year of course I made sure I repeated that, this time experimenting with half the amount of sugar (and it worked fine and tasted great). I also make sure I freeze some for use in the depths of winter on top of my chai oats.  

This year I wanted to add to the blackcurrant glut ideas.  Firstly, since I have recently been eating more sugar free plain vegan yoghurt, I decided that I would use the left over solids from the juice myself (I have given it to the badgers and the birds in the past) and stir that into the yoghurt.  It works really well and I haven't even needed to add any form of sweetener. In fact I asked Phil if he would grab some more yoghurt when he was out shopping the other day because I had enjoyed it so much.  I have had this three mornings running now and I'm still not bored of it!

Then I wondered what blackcurrant muffins would be like. Blueberries work well but they have a more subtle flavour. There is the danger that blackcurrants hiding in a muffin might just add a touch too much 'tart'.  There was only one way to find out and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.  Far from 'too tart' the blackcurrants really complemented the muffin mix.  It is definitely going in my file of 'uses for the blackcurrant glut' and indeed may have me running out to pick a few here and there just for this very purpose in the future.

Blackcurrant Muffins

250g self raising flour
80g sugar
pinch of salt 
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla paste/essence
340ml non-dairy milk
1 mashed banana
100g blackcurrants

1.  Get the oven heated up to 200 degrees C and a 12 hole muffin tray ready.
2.  Stick all the dry ingredients into a bowl and give it a good stir.
3.  Add all the wet ingredients together and stir.
4.  Add wet to dry and mix thoroughly till all incorporated.
5.  Gently stir in the blackcurrants until reasonably distributed.
6.  Fill the muffin cases or greased holes in the tray and bake for about 30 minutes.
7.  You'll know when they are done as they bounce back at you!

Enjoy and in the meantime I will continue to work on other blackcurrant ideas!


No comments:

Post a Comment