Tuesday 30 April 2013

Cultural Experiments with Cheese

 
Over the course of the last 3 months I have been slowly trying recipes in the 'Artisan Vegan Cheese' book that Phil bought me for Christmas. 
 
So far I have made the rejuvelac, a fermented beverage made from whole grains (needed to make most of the cheeses in the book), Basic Cashew Cheese, Brie, Sun Dried Tomato and Basil Cheese, Oat American Cheese, Meltable Mozzarella, Smoked Provolone and Air Dried Cheddar.
 
Our favourite to date is the Oat American Cheese made with a combination of oats, nutritional yeast, rejuvelac, miso, red pepper, mustard, coconut oil, agar and carrageenan.  That said I only finished making the Smoked Provolone and Air Dried Cheddar today and both still have to air dry for a few more days yet so the jury is still out.  Meanwhile, I will continue to slowly work my way through this interesting and very unusual recipe book.


Air drying Provolone (bottom right) and Cheddar

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm, the provolone was a better taste in it's air-dried version but still good made normally.

    ReplyDelete