Wednesday 6 February 2013

Another Letter to Cook Vegetarian Magazine

I received my March edition of CookVeg magazine recently which included a separate free 'vegan'  guide that I had been told about in my previous correspondence with the editor  -


I had really been looking forward to receiving this but was hugely disappointed with its content.  I felt another letter to give feedback was in order.


Hi Fae,

After our previous email correspondence in regards to featuring more vegan recipes/content, I waited with great anticipation for the release of Your Guide to Dairy Free in March's edition of CookVeg.  I have to be honest and say that I was really quite disappointed.  It's message was confused in that it was titled  'dairy free' but made reference to being a guide for those giving up animal by-products (vegan).  Some of the recipes then went on to feature Greek Yogurt, butter and eggs. Was it a vegan guide or just a dairy free guide because it really was neither fully.

I also found some of the recipes obvious (e.g. beans on toast, big breakfast, veggie sausage sandwich) or uninspiring (that is the worst version of Scrambled Tofu I have ever seen!).  I think current vegans may have found its use limiting and those considering veganism, confusing and uninspiring.

Whilst I applaud your efforts I think you are still a way off of labelling CookVeg as the UK's leading vegan magazine.  That said, even though it may not seem it from my comments, I still appreciate your willingness to include such a guide and in recognising this growing sector of the food market.

Hope you don't mind my feedback!

Many thanks
Scooby


UPDATE - RESPONSE FROM COOKVEG MAGAZINE IN COMMENTS BELOW.  FAE THE EDITOR HAS GONE VEGAN FOR A MONTH (POSSIBLY MORE)!  WE REALLY LOOK FORWARD TO READING ABOUT HER EXPERIENCES AND SEEING HOW THE MAGAZINE DEVELOPS AS A RESULT.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Scooby,

    I hope you're well.

    Thanks for your feedback. We don't just not mind feedback, we really appreciate it, so always drop us a line with any thoughts.

    I completely agree with you. We stupidly made a rod for our own backs that issue and came up with that booklet in too little time. I am so ashamed by the dairy references in a supposedly dairy-free supplement.

    I have thought long and hard about this, and believe that Cook Veg doesn't represent vegans well enough. This book was supposed to redress this inbalance but it didn't, because honestly, we're all veggies on the team and often overlook dairy in things.

    To stop this from happening again, I have gone vegan for the month of Feb (although with how great I'm feeling, I think I'll probably go vegan permenantly!). I thought only by walking in a vegan's shoes would I be able to understand the pro's and challenges of this diet. I can now say that I'm totally in the vegan's mindset and you can look forward to seeing more vegan recipes and vegan-ize it suggestions on the dairy recipes going forward.

    You can read all about my vegan month in our May issue, on sale March 22nd. To thank you for your feedback, I'd like to send you a copy. Can I take your address please? You'll receive it around the same time it goes on sale.

    Many thanks,
    Fae

    ReplyDelete